Thursday, August 7, 2008

EM's First Dance Class

It was a LONG day. It was a good day. Not too many problems. It was Em's First Dance Class EVER today!!! She was looking forward to the class ALL day. I mean all day. She wore a leotard the entire day. She tried the one she was to wear to class on first thing this morning. Then I had to work my butt off to get her to take it off and put on another one that I would not mind if she got dirty. She finally agreed to put the other one on. The one she wore all day did not have a skirt so that was her big disappointment with that one. BUT it did have MORE glittery things on the top. It was also black and pink verses just pink. It was a huge deal to get her that take the leotard off that she was to wear to class. Once I succeeded, I was able to take her mind off of it and she got on with the day and was pretty happy. I, on the other hand, was bummed due to the fact that potty training is not easy with a leotard.

I knew today was going to be a monumental day. The goal was to keep her rested and happy. She was pumped to go to class. Every time her brother brought the topic up she was ready to get in the car and go. (Thanks Bro!) I was nervous about how she would do. We are on the way and we are talking in the car. I asked her if she was excited and she nodded her head. We get there and we are a few minute's early so I kept her in the truck for a little while instead of going in. When we went in the dance teacher, Ms. Ann was there and greeted us. Everything was nice and friendly bit I immediately notice EM tightening up and sticking her fingers in her mouth. (Obvious sign of uncertainty on her part) I am now a little anxious over how the next 45 minutes are going to go. Ms. Ann senses the same. She tells all the little girls in the observation room to make a 'choo choo' line to enter the studio. All the little girl's, even EM gets in line and is ready to go. EM, to my surprise, follows all the little girl's into the studio to sit on the rug and get instruction. I am looking at EM and I can tell that she is scared and is not listening to one thing that is being said. She is just sitting there with her hands in her mouth. The girl's are told to go and stand on a piece of tape on the floor. EM just sits...I am thinking that it might not get any better than this. However one of the teacher assistants comes over, takes her by the hand and leads her to a spot on the dance floor. She was willing to go. They start to show some dance steps, put on some music and EM just chews on her fingers. I am thinking that she is going to run out of the room at any moment. Again, one of the girl's shows her what to do and she does it!!! She takes her hands out of her mouth and starts to copy the teachers moves. Granted she is several steps behind the teacher but this is the first class and the first time she has ever done anything like this. She suddenly twirls and I thought, along with the Mom's around me, that I was going to have to be sat on to stop from jumping up and down. EM, still a couple of moves behind, is trying!! I am happy and proud. However it is now time to switch from tap shoe's to ballet slippers. I am thinking, "Why stop the momentum?" Anyway, she comes to me and I switch her shoe's. She jumps out of my lap and goes back in the studio. I am amazed I did not have to tell her to go, make her go, or carry her back into the room. She sits, listens and tries!! She is having a good time!! I am happy to. Anxiety gone and ready for next class.

She looked so big as she came walking back to me when the class was done. For this to be the first time she has ever been in a class setting with other kids, she did absolutely wonderful. Still hard to believe that her First Dance Class is Over. She is so little and so big all at the same time. She is also the most beautiful little girl I have ever seen!!!



Waiting in the lobby for EM's first dance class


This picture is out of order. This is EM in the car on the way to class


EM doing her stretches, like the teachers!!!! Perfection!

The girl's making a "choo, choo' to leave the studio

All the girl's

Yes, I know I should have put tight on her. All the other girl's had them on. I just could not bring myself to do it! It is so hot outside. Maybe next week.











1 comment:

Nonna said...

Em, you look so cute. Maybe I can go to class with you sometime. You listen and learn and maybe one day we will see you on "So You Think You Can Dance". Personally, the lacey socks and tap shoes look good. Love You